Simple Summer Solutions with Salma

6.28.2011


The fun is not over! I have an other recipe for you to add to your collection. Woo hoo!This one is sure to bring a party to your mouth.  And You know the more spice in food the less likely you are to over eat. ^_^
So lets jump in...Turn those burners on..tie those aprons up...put on some lipstick and heels... O wait...This is not a how to romance your spouse post...Here is Salma! 
                                                     -----------------------------------------

Hello to all the lovely readers at Chez Mukweto. My name is Salma. I am an unschooling mommy of 3. I blog at Chasing Rainbow. My blog is about life after the loss of my infant son, and now parenting a Rainbow child, his brother (Rainbow).

My blog touches on various topics and issues, such as unschooling, our daily religious life, articles about parenting
, and random tidbits about our journey to raise multilingual children.

I am sharing one of my favorite recipes with you all this week, Ethiopian Beef Tibs. I love Ethiopian beef tibs and my kids love it as well, so this is an all-time favorite at my home. This meal is eaten with your hands, and is a wonderful experience for the whole family. No matter how many times you eat it you will love it.

If you go to an Ethiopian restaurant you will be served your meal on top of a flat, spongy, grayish bread that accompanies every meal. This bread is called injera and is a staple in the Ethiopian diet. Injera is made with teff, a grain that grows in Ethiopia.You can buy it at some specialty stores, or depending on the area you live in...(ask around).

In my neighborhood, it is very easy to get this bread, thus, my only worry is about what to prepare to eat it with.


What you Need:
Beef (about 1 pound, free range/organic steak if you can get it, any cut will do)
1 large onion
2 large tomatoes
4/5 jalapeno peppers
Berbere spice blend. 

I am lucky to  live in a neighborhood where I can get the spice easily. However, you can buy online, at local international grocer). Want to make your own spice blend? A few years ago, I was given a huge jar of Berbere blend by a friend. 

This is how she made it:
1 teaspoon Ground ginger
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
3/4 teaspoon Ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon Allspice
1/2 teaspoon Ground coriander
1 teaspoon Ground fenugreek seeds
1 1/4 cups Cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon Grated nutmeg
1/2 cup Paprika
1/2 teaspoon Ground cloves
1 teaspoon Fresh ground black pepper
1 teaspoon Ginger powder
1/2 teaspoon Turmeric

In a heavy saucepan, toast the following ground spices together over a low heat for 4 to 5 minutes: ginger, cardamom, coriander, fenugreek, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon and allspice. Shake or stir to prevent burning. Add the salt, cayenne pepper, paprika and fresh ground black pepper and continue toasting and stirring for 10 to 15 more minutes. Cool and store tightly covered glass jar. Makes 1 1/2 cups


PREPARATION 


  1. Cube beef into small cubes, about 1/2 inch square. Marinate meat for a few hours in awaze sauce 1 tablespoon berbere and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  2. Saute onion, sliced or diced, in enough vegetable oil to cover; tradition is to use 1/2 cup of water, adding more as needed until onion is soft. Cook until softened, about 10 minutes.
  3. Lower heat, add beef and thinly sliced or diced pepper, turning regularly, until cooked through, about another 10 minutes. 
  4. Add diced tomatoes to the mix.
  5. Spoon/ladle the beef tibs on to a large plate covered with injera.
 
Break off small pieces of the injera and pick up the meat with it.
I hope you enjoy it.


            -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Salma for sharing this recipe.
Come over anytime and cook with us my friend! 
Anything with Ginger has my mouth watering. 
It's Time to go gather my ingredients!
Lets get cooking !!
Till tomorrow.....

2 comments:

Salma @ Chasing Rainbow said...

Thanks for having me Jacqueline.
The recipe is Ethiopian beef "tibs".

Have a great week, and happy cooking.

Katie said...

Looks very good! Definitely not in my normal menu plan!!! :-) I'm going to the ethnic cuisine store in our area tomorrow, perhaps they will have some of this bread? They have all sorts of stuff for every region possible (Indian, Mexican, Spanish, Greek, etc.)

Thanks for sharing!

Premium Blogger template designed by LucaLogos