Simple Summer Sandwich

6.30.2011

This recipe will help your budget, Your health, Your skin, and Your hair. Keep reading.


One of the ways I feed my family of 6 under $500 a month is by eating meatless meals. On average I cook meatless meals 4  times a week. This is one my favorite simple summer sandwiches. I guess you could say the "meat" of the this sandwich is the Avocado. You can also use this mix as a mayonnaise substitute on a sandwich. Are you ready to see How this is made?  

Here it goes....

Ingredients:
Avocado about 1 per person (depends on how much each person likes to pack on)
Cilantro (cook with love the amount depends on how much you like the taste of cilantro)
1/4 Onion per Avocado ( This varies depends on your taste preference)
Lemon or Lime 1
Tomato 1
Black Pepper
pinch of Salt


Cut the Avocado in cubes (if you are using as a mayo substitute just mash it.)


Cut the tomato in cubes, if you want it mixed in. Or cut tomatoes into slices if you want to have it sit on top. Chop up some Cilantro. If you like the flavor of cilantro cut up half a bundle ( it comes in bundles at my grocery store). If you want a light cilantro flavor do a quarter bundle or less.


Combine the cilantro, onion, and avocado with a little salt and pepper. Then squeeze a little lemon or lime juice on it.
Put the mix on some French bread (baguettes). I prefer it fresh out of the oven. And Enjoy. If you are using as a mayo substitute mash it all together and spread on your bread. add your turkey etc..and enjoy.
A little bit of olive oil adds a nice flavor, and can help everything blend, but not needed since avocado has its own oil.


To pick a good avocado:
Find a pretty one.
Hold the avocado in your hand with the thumb of that same hand press gently. 
If it's stiff and does not give at all its not ready.
If it's mushy and  gives in completely, leaves a dent, or breaks the skin. it's overripe and Its not good for this recipe.
If it's firm but gives in a little it is good. 




Besides being really tasty. Here is how this Rocks!!
1. Eating meatless meals is great for your digestive system and your budget. You can shave off a significant amount of dollars from your grocery budget, and a few inches off your waistline by eating less meat. Just remember to find other protein substitutes like almonds and peanuts.


2. This is great for your hair and skin. NO I am not saying you should rub it on your face while you eat. BUT ...
Have you seen all those fabulous products out there for skin and hair that boast about having avocado in them therefore you should by the whole line?
Well, they are right that avocado's are marvelous for your skin and hair but you have to also get the avocado in you.
It is not enough to just rub it on the outside. Your skin and  hair get most of the nutrients they need from the inside. So feed your insides the good stuff. :) 



3. This is good for your health. Avocado's help Battle diabetes, lower cholesterol , Aid in Controlling blood pressure, and Smooth the skin.

Thanks for reading.  Does your family eat meatless meals?

8 comments:

Tracy said...

Looks so delicious! I have a ripe avocado in my fruit basket perfect for this recipe.

courtney dalley said...

This sounds amazing. Thanks for sharing! I can't wait to try it out!

Arlee Bird said...

I used to make avocado sandwiches--not like these, but just avocado with butter. The ones here sound excellent. And avocados are really good for one's health.


Lee
Tossing It Out

Mom4Real said...

I am obsessed with avocado right now! I made a grilled swiss cheese sandwich with avocado yesterday...yummmo! Visiting and now following via You Like Me Hop...hop on over to my blog and gollow back if you like... http://mom4realky.blogspot.com

Jessica K

Anna said...

That looks delicious! We love avocado. For the first 2 years of my daughter's life avocado was her main protein. It's an amazing food. :)

Thank you for sharing at the Weekend Warrior Link Party.

Anna
www.askannamoseley.com

Erin J said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love your blog as well. You are one creative mama. We eat mostly meatless meals as well. And I love avocado! Yum

Fabric Bows and More said...

YUM! Come and join our link party: http://fabricbowsandmore.blogspot.com/2011/07/link-party-no12-will-see-it-wednesday.html#more

Diane said...

I love avocadoes and this surely caught my eye! I also spent a little time browsing your blog and I enjoyed it very much! Thanks for your follow and now I am following you!

Premium Blogger template designed by LucaLogos