The Tooth Fairy

5.20.2011



A great lesson in faith from my Oldest son.
Here is a little background so the story makes a little more sense.
I am not that kind of mom that does or says a bunch of fluffy stuff for my kids.
For example I never told them about Santa, the tooth fairy, or the Easter bunny.  When they find out about them I tell them that some people add them to certain holidays and celebrate them just for fun but they are not real. But for some Dumb reason with the tooth fairy I told them that God sends angels down to give them money because fairies are not real.(lie number 1) and that lie caught up to me one day.....

My Oldest son (age 6) lost his first tooth the other day. He was so excited and made sure he cleaned it, bagged it, and put it under his pillow. Well, I COMPLETLY forgot to put money under his pillow. So he wakes up the next morning and says,
"mom there was no money under my pillow" ( with a sad sad look on his face).
I said, "You know it just means that tomorrow you are getting the double portion of money."(Lie number 2)


He goes about his morning content with that answer.
But I forget AGAIN...


The next morning he wakes up and says, "mom there is still no money under my pillow".
Feeling completely awful, awful, awful, I said, "hold on a minute let me think maybe....
(I was thinking but nothing clever was coming to mind) "Maybe....Maybe it slipped under your bed go check."
He goes and checks and comes back with a little grin.
He says, "MOM I figured it out!"
I said, "figured what out?"
He says, "The Mystery"
Me: "O Yea?"
The Boy: "Yes! I figured it out... God does not send the Angel to put money under our pillow, you and daddy put the money under the pillow"
shocked, busted and embarrassed
I said, "what do you mean?"
He says, "Yea because I know God doesn't forget. He would never forget to bring what he promised."
My Heart melting and in a much softer, less mommy knows all voice I said, "your right because God is faithful isn't he.."
"He sure is mom"...
He went about his day completely happy and satisfied that he has solved the tooth fairy mystery.

I learned a lot that day. Once again humbled, and blessed by the gift of children.
Just so you know he did get two dollars when Dad got home and they got to have a man night at a local high school basketball game.
Woo Hoo! He still thinks we are cool parents!



Psalms 127:4-5

Like arrows in the hands of a warrior are children born in one’s youth. 
Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them.



6 comments:

All.Natural.Hutchesons said...

Wow...he is going to be the next Billy Graham! There is something to sweet and so special about that little guy - he is wise beyond his years. What a fantastic lesson.

Brooke Anna @ Mommy Does... said...

Awww... we haven't lost any teeth here yet. This was a sweet thing for your family!

JP said...

Told you to stop lying all the time...

See?

Laura said...

That one smart kid. For me, it seemed every time my girls lost a tooth, I did have any money.

Thanks for visiting my blog!

Gregg said...

Some of my most difficult lessons I have learned have come from one or more of my four daughters.

Emily said...

I love this. What a smart, thoughtful boy you have! The tooth fairy is making her first visit to our home tomorrow night- my almost-3-yr-old is having an injured tooth pulled tomorrow. We've been trying to figure out how to "do" the tooth fairy without making it a "believe in fairies" kind of thing. Oh, and if you are ever interested in a good resource on taking care of kids' teeth, I've recently found this Mom's Guide to be helpful: http://www.1dental.com/moms-guide/. Thanks for sharing your learning moment.

Premium Blogger template designed by LucaLogos